A certificate of occupancy is required before a new building or addition shall be occupied. The following is a list of requirements to secure a certificate of occupancy:
1. Final Building/Fire Inspections
2. FEMA Flood Elevation Certificate if located within the floodplain (North Carolina Flood Maps)
3. Final Planning Director Approval if zoning permit required
4. Final Chatham County Environmental Health Department Approval if required (Food, Well, and Septic)
5. Final Public Works Director Approval if required (Town Water and Sewer Service)
6. Final NCDOT Approval if required
All of these approvals may not apply to your project. Discuss your project at final building inspection to determine what shall apply. We occasionally issue temporary power and conditional certificates of occupancy for special circumstances.